Search This Blog

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Light into Bodies

Nancy Chen Long's debut collection Light Into Bodies (2016 Tampa Review Prize for Poetry) spoke to me as a mother of multiracial children, particularly as a mother who lives in the country of the other parent and is thus herself perceived as 'the other.' On top of that, Light Into Bodies is beautifully written. I hope you'll take the time to read my review of it at The Rumpus, and then hopefully read the collection itself.

Other reviews I've written in the past have been about analyzing the poems and looking intellectually at the book, but for Long's book I wanted to write about my experience of reading the book, how it felt to me. This is a more personal review than I've written before, and I'm slightly anxious about that. I'm grateful to Molly Spencer at The Rumpus for giving the review a chance, and mostly to Nancy Chen Long for writing a book that can help a mother like me see into her children's world.


No comments: