Search This Blog

Monday, March 2, 2015

H. P. Lovecraft & Me

I write like H. P. Lovecraft.

At least that's what the statistical tools over at the I Write Like website have determined. Data points used to come to the conclusion about whose writing yours resembles include word choice and writing style (whatever that is).

Find out who you write like. Paste your original text into the given box, and sit back and see. Then share your results in the comments box below, if you dare. I'd love to know!

2 comments:

Mark said...

I submitted my most recent blog post and was informed that I, too, write like H.P. Lovecraft. It's a proud moment indeed, although an alternate explanation is that this "statistical tool" consists of nothing more than a text box, an "Analyze" button, and a message that says "You write like H.P. Lovecraft."

Unfortunately, experiment seems to favor the latter interpretation, since the text "Big poop. Poop plop poop. Check which famous writer you write like with this statistical analysis tool, which analyzes your word choice and writing style and compares them with those of the famous writers" also returns congratulations on writing like H.P. Lovecraft.

Jessica Goodfellow said...

Hi Mark,

I was able to get Poe, by submitting a different sample, and a friend got another writer (I now forget who it was) but I also got Lovecraft multiple times when submitting different work. So I think there are not that many authors available as results, and obviously the mechanism for assigning one is not at all robust. But it's not quite as simple as always returning Lovecraft. Alas, we get what we pay for. Cheers!