Search This Blog

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Moby-Dick Big Read

Two summers ago I blogged about my book shame, having not read Moby-Dick. Having publicly exposed my shame, I was sufficiently motivated to go ahead and read it, and I finished it later that summer. Yay!

Then I discovered Matt Kish's Moby-Dick in Pictures: One Drawing for Every Page, which I blogged about and which I continue to adore.

Now I've discovered Moby-Dick Big Read, a collaborative project of readers and artists (including Tilda Swinton, Will Self, China Mieville, Tony Kushner, Joyelle McSweeney, & Mary Oliver) each reading one chapter of Melville's masterful tome aloud. A project of artist Angela Cockayne and writer Philip Hoare, this reading project grew out of Peninsula Arts Whale Festival of 2011.

You can download each chapter in iTunes for free, to let the listening begin. I already have and will be enjoying Moby-Dick once again this autumn.

2 comments:

Tressa said...

If you'd like to continue with the theme but try a different vein check out "Ahab's Wife" ~

http://www.amazon.com/Ahabs-Wife-Sena-Jeter-Naslund/dp/0688171877/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=1-1&qid=1380503432

Jessica Goodfellow said...

Thanks, Tressa, I'd heard about this book but promptly forgotten. I'll follow up on it right away this time!